Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

2018 Calendar Contest Winners - posted on 10th Jan 2018 at 5:38 PM
Replies: 0 (Who?), Viewed: 49 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 5:39 AM
Default Username change request
I'm requesting a change of my username from "yellan" to "SparkySays".

When I first created this account, I intended to use it for downloading only; but in recent years I've actually participated in the community discussions. The name I selected was the name of a character I played on a MUSH 15 years ago, but no longer has any association with who I am or what I do. It also sounds male, and I am not male, so I would like something more gender neutral that reflects my current self and interests. 'Sparky' is a nickname for an electrician, which is what I do for work, and that's why I am requesting the name change to 'SparkySays'.

And now for a funny story! It's kind of gross, though, be forewarned.

Last summer I was working on a job without indoor plumbing. As I stood up after using the porto-john I heard the dreaded PLOP of something falling into the blue water. After I checked my pockets, sure enough, my pencil and my tic tester were missing. (A tic tester is a device a little bigger than a pen which you use to tell whether wires are energized, so you don't shock yourself.) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-T...-1SEN/100661787 I looked down and the pencil was floating in the water but I didn't see the tic tester anywhere. After I looked around inside the can, and looked around on the ground outside, I concluded the tic tester must have fallen in as well.

It wasn't a big deal at all as they're not very expensive and anyway I could just get my contractor to buy me another one. So I shrugged my shoulders and carried on with my day, and I didn't think about it again until the next day at lunch...

...when my co-worker who sat across from me at the break table walked up carrying a tic tester. "Did anyone lose these?" he asked. I perked up thinking maybe the tic tester hadn't fallen in after all! "Where did you find that?" I asked him.

"It was on the ground outside the biffy," he said.

Then I saw that he also had a pencil in his other hand. I was confused for a moment because I KNEW that fell in.

Then remembered that the biff company had come out to clean the toilets that morning.

And I realized with slowly dawning horror what must have happened:
they sucked the pencil and tic tester out when they cleaned the biffs...
and left them on the ground...
and he found them there...
and picked them up...

"Uhhh... I think that fell in," I told him, scrunching up my face and trying not to show how grossed out I was.

He set the pencil and the tic tester on the table. ON THE TABLE. WHERE WE EAT LUNCH.

"I... think that fell in," I repeated, a little louder "so... maybe don't put it on the table?"

He picked them up again. "So you don't want it?" he asked.

"No!" I said, way too harshly, and had to moderate myself: "No. But thank you."

He took them away somewhere else and, thanks be to the deity of your choice, I never saw them again.

THE END.