Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #2 - posted on 10th Aug 2017 at 2:58 PM
Replies: 7 (Who?), Viewed: 1481 times.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 5:57 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 1st Aug 2017 at 3:23 PM.
Default Expanding the Electronica radio station - help me pick tracks!
I'm a big fan of electronic music - always have been, always will be - and as such the electronic music genre(s) in the The Sims games are always among my favourites.

But inn The Sims 3, a game with a certain emphasis on parties and going out to the clubs, I’ve always thought that there isn’t enough fitting music.
Of the 20 packs released for the game, only 3 have added music to the Electronica station. The newest is Late Night, from 2010.
In total, there’s probably little more than 20 tracks on the radio, all from a very specific time period.

So there’s definitely room for more, newer and more varied music. With some effort, it’s possible to add tracks to existing radio stations, or to create entirely new radio stations. So I intended to at least double the amount of available music. Of course, I’ll create my new station (thinking of “Club”) and release it like all my other mods.
I'm looking for distinct sounds and styles - if it's from the last 30 years and if you can dance to it, I want to hear it!

Here are a number of things I have to be mindful of:
  1. Is the track the right length (3-5 minutes)? If not, I can edit it?
  2. Are there lyrics in the track? And if so, could they be mistaken for glibberish? If there are, but they couldn’t, can I find an instrumental version?
  3. Does the track sound good in the game? Is the pacing right, would the devs perhaps have picked this track themselves?
  4. Would you hear this track in a club? And would you dance to it?
  5. Is this track available for free on YouTube or Soundcloud?
Now, I've made a start following these rules. Here's what I have:

Now perhaps you may be wondering about copyright and stuff. Here's the policy on copyright: If you can listen to it on your PC, on YouTube or on Soundcloud, you can listen to the same audio file in a video game.

Overlord of Plumbit, the subreddit for the serious Simmer.
We're constructive, creative and drama-free™.

(Oh, and follow me on my Tumblr.)
Advertisement
Alchemist
Original Poster
#2 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 7:46 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 30th Jul 2017 at 9:39 PM.
Current track list:

Jokers of The Scene - Baggy Bottom Boys (Electro House / 2009)
Duck Sauce - Barbra Streisand (Disco House / 2010)
New Order - Blue Monday (Instrumental / Hi-NRG / 1983)
Edelweiss - Bring Me Edelweiss (Instrumental / Pop House / 1988)
Deadmau5 - Complications (Progressive House / 2008)
Underworld - Cups (? / 1997)
EDX - Dharma (Deep House / 2017)
Wolfgang Gartner - Illmerica (EDM / 2011)
Major Lazer & DJ Snake - Lean On (Instrumental / Deep House / 2015)
Mord Fustang - Lick The Rainbow (Electro House / 2011)
Daniel Avery - Naive Response (Chill House / 2013)
Depeche Mode - People Are People (Instrumental / Synthpop / 1984)
Mr. Magnetik - Remanence (Trance / 2012)
Bleaker - Untitled (? / 2014)
A Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray (Acid House / 1988)
The Bloody Beetroots ft. Steve Aoki - W.A.R.P (EDM / 2009)

Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 8:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
I've seen your thread at the official forum: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...-me-pick-tracks
I've got some suggestions, but I haven't got an account at the forum, so maybe I'll include the list and links here

@Wojtek
Cool, thanks. Recommendations are always welcome, because I think this mod could be really cool if I do it right. I also made that thread here on MTS, so if you have any suggestions you can just drop them here.

Oh and by the way:
"Wojtek has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."
So I'll just respond here and hope that's okay.

Field Researcher
DELETED POST
30th Jul 2017 at 11:17 PM
This message has been deleted by Wojtek.
Theorist
#4 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 6:26 PM
I think electronica should probably be more geared towards dance/party music, so that sims will have some more appropriate songs to dance to.

Basically anything you'd hear out of stereos at a party. In fact, I'd think pulling some of TS2's songs would be great.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 3:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
I think electronica should probably be more geared towards dance/party music, so that sims will have some more appropriate songs to dance to.

Of course! The songs should be fun, they should be catchy, Sims should want to dance to them. That's the whole point here.
That's why I've included songs like Duck Sauce's Barbra Streisand and Edelweiss's Bring Me Edelweiss. They're fun songs.
And I'll see about including songs from TS2 and TS4. It would be an obvious choice to make, but I probably won't include more than one from either game.

And @Wojtek, I haven't yet listened to your recommendations (though I will once I'm done doing all the other crap I've been doing), but I do think I'll include Safe and Sound because it's already in the game, in Simlish.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 3:30 PM
So what I've done now is set up a club with a dozen or two Sims in it. I've played all the music and found that it's all at least somewhat suitable. For example:

Field Researcher
DELETED POST
2nd Aug 2017 at 5:33 PM
Alchemist
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 7:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
What I call "Pure techno/electronica" is not what one would hear in regular clubs, at least not in my country.

As much as I'm trying to include diverse and interesting music and music styles, I'm still going to have to stick to a certain definition of "club music". And I think it's easiest if that definition is my own.
I certainly won't go for a Eastern European definition of club music, which I think is what you're thinking of, because I don't really think "unts unts unts" techno music makes for a good clubbing experience, and I don't think Sims live in Eastern Europe. Sims live in North America only, as far as I'm concerned.

Field Researcher
DELETED POST
2nd Aug 2017 at 8:03 PM
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 11:02 PM
I'm not sure which one of our avatars is more accurate here, @Wojtek, but yours is really very good.